The Alcohol, Drugs, and Tobacco Study Group (ADTSG) is seeking a new chairperson. The role of the Chair is to coordinate the group’s efforts within the Society for Medical Anthropology (SMA). Some key aspects of this role are:
- Coordinating and leading the annual business meeting at/around the AAA conference
- Working with SMA leadership on SMA Special Interest Group (SIG) initiatives and attending annual SIG leadership meetings
- Developing a short annual report on SIG activities for SMA
- Coordinating annual prizes (graduate student paper prize, graduate student travel award, and contingent faculty travel award) including marketing the prizes and recruiting prize reviewers
- Working with Student Liaison and Vice Chair to promote SIG and plan SIG-related activities, publications, or events.
The role requires on an average time commitment of less than five hours per week with the weeks around the AAA conference requiring slightly more time. This role is not compensated by the SMA, but it is a great way to provide service to the field and network with individuals who do research on alcohol, drugs, and tobacco.
Interested individuals should email the current Chair, Breanne Casper, via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), by October 30, 2023. The new Chair will be elected at the next ADTSG Business Meeting at the AAA Annual Meeting in Toronto.