The Alcohol, Drug, and Tobacco Study Group (ADTSG) of the Society for Medical Anthropology
invites submissions for the best graduate student paper in the anthropology of alcohol, drugs,
tobacco, or other psychoactive substance use. A committee of ADTSG members will judge
qualifying submissions. The author of the winning paper will receive a cash award of $100, and their
name will be announced at the Society for Medical Anthropology awards ceremony at the American
Anthropological Association Annual Meeting in November 2021. Submissions from all
anthropological sub-disciplines are encouraged.
- No more than 9,000 words (including references and notes)
- Must be based on original fieldwork and data
- Must have been written in the past 12 months
- Primary or first author must be a graduate student at time of submission
- May be unpublished or submitted for publication at the time of submission
- Originality of fieldwork and data
- Richness of substantive or evidentiary materials
- Clarity of anthropological methods
- Linkage of work to social science literature
- Effective use of theory and data
- Organization, quality of writing, and coherence of argument
- Please do not include your name or any identifying information in the paper itself.
- Papers must be double spaced and in PDF format (please include page numbers).
- References and in-text citations should be formatted according to Chicago Manual of Style.
- Please submit via email to Breanne Casper, Chair of ADTSG, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submissions must be received by 5:00PM EST on August 20, 2021, for full consideration.
Questions may be directed to Breanne Casper at the above email address. We look forward to your submissions!