** please circulate widely**
Deadline: October 31, 2015 @ 5pm
The Alcohol, Drug, and Tobacco Study Group (ADTSG) of the Society for Medical Anthropology requests submissions for the best graduate student paper in the anthropology of alcohol, drugs, tobacco or similar substances. Qualifying submissions will be judged by a committee of ADTSG members. The author of the winning paper will receive a cash award of $100 and her or his name will be announced in Anthropology News and at the Society for Medical Anthropology awards ceremony at the American Anthropological Association Annual Meeting in November. Submissions from all anthropological sub-disciplines are encouraged.
- No more than 9,000 words
- Must be based on original fieldwork and data
- Must have been written in the past 12 months
- Primary or first author must be a graduate student
- Must be unpublished at the time of submission
- Originality of fieldwork and data
- Richness of substantive or evidentiary materials
- Clarity of anthropological methods
- Linkage of work to anthropological literature
- Effective use of theory and data
- Organization, quality of writing, and coherence of argument
- Contributions to anthropology of alcohol, drugs, tobacco or similar substances
- Please do not include your name or any identifying information in the paper itself
- Papers must be double spaced and in PDF format (please include page numbers)
- References should be formatted in the American Anthropologist style
- Please submit an electronic copy to Tazin Daniels, chair of ADTSG at email@example.com
- Submissions must be received by 5:00PM EST, October 31, 2015 for full consideration.
Questions may be directed to Tazin Daniels at the above email address. We look forward to your submissions!